Finding the best dentist is quite an individual process. The "best" dentist for one patient may not necessarily be the best dentist for another patient. Rest assured that here in Canada we have one of the best dental care systems in the world. Hopefully this article can shed some light on finding that great dentist here in Victoria that just right for you.
- Personality of the dental team - are the staff friendly and helpful?
- Is the practice able to see your entire family, including young children and/or elderly parents?
- Can you get appointments in a timely manner?
- Does the dentist have experience carrying out the types of dental treatments that you desire?
- Does the office offer emergency treatment, and can they accommodate you if an emergency arises out of business hours?
- Do you feel comfortable, not only in the dental chair, but can your dentist clearly explain so you understand the rational for treatments that have been recommended?
- Can the practice help with dental insurance claims?
- Does the dentist give you multiple options regarding available treatments, discuss and explain the treatments so that you can best decide which treatment option you choose?
A good long term relationship with your dentist is the best way to ensure that you have optimal dental health. Unfortunately, one can only evaluate these factors in their dental clinic by taking a visit and seeing whether or not the dentist and dental team meets all of their needs as a patient. Friends or family may recommend a certain dental practice and it may have a great reputation in the community, but the best way to determine if the practice is one that you will want to stay with for the long-term is to go and meet the dentist and staff yourself. Meeting the team in person will allow you to determine if you feel welcome and cared-for in the office, if the dentist is approachable and knowledgeable, and whether the staff can help you with any concerns you might have about specific treatments, emergencies, insurance or otherwise.